Thursday, November 05, 2009

Sick Again

I knew that last week when Davan was sick and I was feeling...under the weather, that we did not have the same thing. Davan had a serious runny nose and my nose was pretty much normal. I was headachy, had a sore throat and mild body aches. Davan didn't, but she had trouble sleeping and was very tired.

My theory about not having the same thing was confirmed when I came down with whatever Davan had last week this week. Sigh. Being sick is, of course, not celebratory news. I am pleased, though, that neither last week's bug nor this week's has wiped me out.

I've managed to make or exceed my bike mileage for our challenge both weeks. Well, not quite yet this week, but I only need another 11 miles, so it's not really an issue. I've kept up with the house - cooking and such. I even did a long "test" for my new potential job yesterday.

This is all great. I used to get sick and be really, really sick. Like laying on the couch not wanting to get up sick. Now, well, laying on the couch and reading my book does sound seriously appealing, but I'm not suffering much by mostly carrying on with my life.

Likewise good is that, these two back to back bugs aside, I just don't get sick as often as I used to. For years it seemed like I was just sick pretty much from fall to spring with one thing or another. Last year I think I had a couple of mild colds.

What do I attribute this to? Well, a few things, actually. One is that I don't have a young child who gets everything anymore. Another is that I'm pretty happy with my life (I got sick more often and more severely when Max still lived with us, for example). Happy, non-stressed people tend to stay healthier. I work out more intensely and regularly than I have in the past. Exercise boosts your immune system. And I eat healthy foods. Nutritious foods also boosts your immune system. Additionally, one simply produces less mucous when one does not eat dairy and refined sugar, regardless of allergies.

So, yes, I'm sick. Yes, that's unpleasant. But, I'm totally able to see the bright side here. I hope the cold and flu season is treating you mildly.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:15 PM

    you are back!!! You are back!!!!

    I stopped checking.

    I'm glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks - that sure made me feel good!

    ReplyDelete