Thursday, May 06, 2010

Food Happenings

With the challenge of making do with less, I have to say that I haven't been meeting other challenges. Right now, I've got challenge enough!

That isn't to say that we aren't eating healthily or well, I'm just not trying to meet any other challenges. The something green with every meal challenge went by the wayside, but I've still been managing to get something green at nearly every meal just because that's how we eat.

We've been managing to stay in our new food budget, but I am making choices at the grocery store. There are changes, but I don't think anyone is feeling overly deprived, although Davan would like more frozen raspberries, I know. I think I'll be able to get a bulk order of them from Azure Standard with this month's order, but it may mean not getting something else - like walnuts. We'll have to see when the time comes.

I haven't come up with a new challenge for this month, either, but, again, just making things work on our new budget is challenge enough. Really, we're okay, but we do need to be careful right now if we want to remain okay if this goes on longer than a few months.

Our meal plan for today was:

Breakfast - steal cut pear oatmeal
Lunch - Davan: two carrots, some cabbage, Mexican-style pumpkin seed dip leftover from dinner last night in which it was a salad dressing, four strawberries, and leftover Tamale Pie from last night's dinner (corn meal base with leftover Mexican bean soup, TVP - I don't actually use this much anymore, but we still had some in the cupboard and I'm using up, carrots kale and extra seasonings to make the soup stretch); Me: a green drink with spinach, a frozen banana, four of the fruny looking strawberries, and the last of a smidge of frozen cherries (I opted for just that because I wasn't overly hungry after eating a whole bunch of oatmeal at breakfast)
Dinner - Bowls - that's our shorthand name for it. Tonight's bowls were wheat kernels, black beans, shredded raw carrots, sprouts, cucumbers, lightly steamed kale, green onions, sesame seeds with a cashew sauce in peanut sauce style and/or teriyaki sauce. Each person assembles theirs according to what they like. Or I assemble for them if I'm packing, as I was tonight because it's Do Jump night.
Snack - oatmeal based raw lemon cookies

So, yeah, still pretty healthy, I'm thinking and not much different than we'd been eating anyway, but it is somehow different. The fridge isn't as crowded even after I've just shopped and yet, we're certainly not going hungry. It's hard to say what the difference is for sure. I do know we're doing fewer lettuce salads, figuring that other greens in a meal is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment