Monday, December 12, 2011

My New Toy

Call it an early Christmas present, if you will.

In my family this year, we're each filling a stocking for one other person.  This will the the main event present-wise.  We're going to Colorado to spend Christmas with my parents, so the five of us drew names.  That's quite a feat as we're a fair distance apart, no?  Even further apart if you consider that they've been in Cayman Brac for the last couple of weeks.  I cleverly did a search for an online name drawing program and, voila:   DrawNames.com.

So, we each have one other person and it's all a secret.  Davan got a budget to spend, plus any personal money she wants to add.  Everyone has to figure out the actual stocking for their person, too.  We're having fun with it.  I know I'm enjoying just focusing on one person.  It makes me feel more generous toward that one person, rather than figuring out things for everyone.

The rule also, though, is that if you find something for a person other than the person you've drawn and just need to get it for them, you may.  So, we'll probably have a few non stocking presents to open, as well.

Anyway, the point of this is that, on Saturday, the three of us went shopping.  We were going out to my MIL's house for afternoon coffee for her birthday and headed out to Gresham early to hit a strip mall.  (Yeah, I know - horrors and all that.)  We split up and each did the shopping we needed to do.

Anthony came back to the group saying that he came across something that interested him for me, but he didn't want to just get it for a present because he wasn't sure of sizing.  After a little hemming and hawing, he told me what it was.  I was interested.  In fact, I've been interested in this item for a few years now.

So, we went back to that store and walked away with a purchase.


Vibram Five Finger shoes!  I've been wanting to try them for years, but, well, had a hard time justifying the cost.  However, now I'm running a lot and these were on clearance for about 40% off.  It was a bit of a risk because maybe I wouldn't like them, but if I did, well, then they'd save some wear on my main pair of shoes, which is a good thing.  And they're supposed to be good for you.

So, this morning, I slipped my toes into these bad babies and went for a run.  I did this in spite of the fact that I was pretty much down for the day with a bit of the stomach flu yesterday and in spite of the fact that it was a whopping 31 degrees out.  Why?  Mostly because I was so excited to try them!

Also, though, I was doing a short run this morning.  I let myself sleep in due to the whole sick yesterday thing and woke up feeling better, but not great.  And Lovely was due to come in a little over a half an hour.  So, I knew I was only going out for a half an hour or so and one should start slow with the whole minimalist running shoe thing.

I was expecting that I'd be slower.  I was expecting that my feet would be cold - after all, they're minimal and I don't have five finger socks.  Other than that, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I liked them!  I wouldn't run every run in them or so super far yet, but I liked them for two miles.  I wasn't slower at all and my feet weren't cold.

I did find that I really didn't want to run on the sidewalk.  I'm more of a street runner anyway, but I can run on the sidewalk fine usually.  Not today, though - today I really didn't like the sidewalk at all.

I also found I noticed some sensitive areas - a spot on my right ankle that bothers me sometimes, for example.  I felt it today, but more in a working it way than in a hurt way.  It was odd, but not bad.

After the run, I'm feeling my calves a lot!  It was a good workout for them.

All-in-all, I do like them.  I'll probably only do one or two runs a week in them at first, at least, though.  I think they're good for strengthening and stride work.  I'll want to do more distance than would be prudent due to the muscle work.

Okay, off to see how this stomach of mine reacts to breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment