Friday, April 21, 2006

I am currently at Chris' place, chilling out while she gets some work done.

I thought I'd fill in some information I touched on previously. First, the whole stay at home mom thing. Davan and I spend a very little part of our time at home. In a typical week, we've got Girl Scout meetings on Mondays, book group or craft/game group on Tuesdays, skiing on Wednesdays (in the proper season, of course), Davan's play rehearsal on Thursday mornings, game day on Thursday afternoons (this does mostly take place at my house, so I guess I am home for this at least), and frequently a play date or other outing (swimming, OMSI, Children's Museum, ect) on Friday. Of course, we also have regular errands to run. We go to the library a couple of times a week, minimum. Grocery shopping is usually done together during the day. Running to the bank, going to pick up paper work from our case worker in regards to the adoption and picking up food from the co-op delivery at a friend's house or from the CSA farm can also be regular outings.

While our list of activities often puts people's minds to ease about the "socialization question", which we homeschoolers are frequently confronted with, it also causes people to say, "Well, when, then, do you fit in school?"

We don't have to find time to fit in school because we believe there are things to be learned in all aspects of life. Trips to the grocery store, for example, as lessons in economics, math, nutrition, reading, writing (we always use a list) as well as offering opportunities to socialize with people outside of our family.

I'm sure I'll rant more about this sort of thing, but that's enough of that for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment