Friday, October 21, 2011

Book Review: UltraMarathon Man

One of the books that caught my eye at Powell's was this slim volume:  UltraMarathon Man:  Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes.  Unlike some of the books I picked out (okay, most, really, sadly), this one panned out.

I found Dean to be extremely entertaining.  The accounts of his 100 mile+ runs (no stopping to sleep) were gripping.  Between wanting to know what happened next, what he did next and the slimness of the book, it was a quick read, but a very enjoyable one.

I found myself alternately appalled, motivated and, okay, frankly, wimpy.  This man runs through the night then plays with his kids.  Some days it's hard to get the motivation to even play with the kids and let's not get started on how much sleep I need, but that's all beside the point.

This is a short review for a short book and I'm going to leave it here because reading his accounts are much more interesting than reading my account of his accounts.  Suffice it to say that runner or not, this is a book that isn't to be missed.

1 comment: