Saturday, June 17, 2006

Interesting Day

It's been an interesting day or so, thinking about what might be and all the changes that might happen. I wish Barbara had called back yesterday evening to say if the committee had been scheduled yet. She was supposed to talk with the boys' case worker after speaking with us yesterday. Now we have to wait until Tuesday to know if a committee has been scheduled yet, as she doesn't work on Mondays.

In other news...I made muffins this morning as a special breakfast for Father's Day. Yes, you might well notice that it is not yet Father's Day, but tomorrow DH is off to the races bright and early with his dad, so we did it today instead.

A couple of weeks ago, some friends handed down a pair of in line skates to Davan. Actually, it was two pair - one that fits now and one to grow into. Anyway, yesterday, Davan put them on and did a little skating in the kitchen. DH got excited and suggested we all skate a bit this morning. We tried, but it didn't go well. Davan was really scared and said she wanted to quit. When I offered (repeatedly) to take her home, she said she didn't want to go home. Sigh. It was a rough outing.

After coming home and recuperating, Davan and I rode bikes over to the library so that she could pick up more books and get her summer reading program game card stamped. The program just started on the 1st. We picked up the gamecard on the 2nd. She finished the bonus path today. All done. She did a half an hour of reading for each space (the recommended length). We talked about reading longer for each space, but she seemed really excited to move through quickly.

After lunch at home, Davan and DH went over to his mom's house so that Davan could get in some playing time with her cousins. They're all very close in age, coming in at 9 months older than Davan, almost exactly a year younger (we had to reschedule her first birthday party...) and 3 years younger (again almost exactly).

While I had the place to myself I messed about on the computer, went for a skate and mowed the lawn. Once we were reunited, Davan and I got in some jumping on the trampoline before I got dinner going.

Dinner was a yummy creation of carrots and broccoli sautied with a little olive oil, whole wheat rotelle pasta and a mix of marinara and homemade pesto sauce. The pesto sauce had been pretty strong when we made it, so the marinara sort of thinned it out a bit, but it still had a nice kick. Yummy. Davan, though, just ate the carrots, broccoli and plain pasta.

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea how you keep on smiling and continue to be hopeful and optimistic... this adoption thing is taking friggin' FOREVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, for friggin' ever is pretty accurate.

    I'm certainly not always upbeat about it. I was pretty desolate after Judea's committee was canceled. More so than when we weren't chosen for Alexis, surprisingly. I think that was partially because it seemed like that was the only forward progress we'd made and it was snatched away.

    One of the things that calmed me down was hearing about the 70 families who put in for Ashlee. This was after the Judea committee incident. That was when I got a grip on the idea that there really are that many families out there, willing and wanting to adopt. However, it also made me wonder if we were even needed.

    I think we are, though. I know it's a bit conceited, but I feel like we have a lot to offer a child. I've also been surprised to read about the number of disruptions that there are out there. I know we won't disrupt. Once a child moves in, he or she is ours.

    ReplyDelete