Friday, October 31, 2008

Lunch

Here's another recipe and I even took a picture to go with it. :)



I'll call it unstuffed acorn squash. I adjust this recipe according to what's on hand at the time, but here is what it was today:

1 acorn squash
1 large or 2 small bell peppers, diced
12 oz bella mushrooms, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
3 green tomatoes, diced
3 red tomatoes, diced
~4 TBS tomato paste
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 TBS chili powder
1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed

Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the halves cut side down in a baking dish, add about 1/2 cup water. Bake in an oven at 350 degrees for about an hour.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Saute the onion over medium heat in a pan sprayed with a little oil. When the onions are translucent - about 4 minutes, add the green tomatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic. Saute for another 5 minutes or so, until the mushrooms release their juices.

Add the chili powder and stir. Mix the tomato paste with the water and add it to the pan along with the quinoa. Cover and simmer for about a half an hour. Toward the end of the cooking, add the red tomatoes. You can uncover and stir a time or two. Add water, if necessary. You'll know the quinoa is cooked when the outer circle separates and curls.

Mix with the black eyed peas.

When the squash is done - you can tell because the skin will be easily pierced with a fork - remove from the oven and use an oven mitt to hold the squash while you scoop out the insides with a spoon. Placed the squash innards in a bowl (or on a plate) and scoop the veggie mixture on top.

Today we only ate about half of it, but on non-candy days, Davan will easily eat half of it herself (although she is a remarkably big eater) and I will if I've skipped breakfast, as well, although I usually pair it with salad, which I skipped today, as well.

I always make this for lunch because Anthony doesn't eat the majority of the ingredients. Of course, it worked out that I made it today, when he's home from work, but oh well! He had to make due with leftovers today.

Black beans are also good instead of the black eyed peas. If I have left over marinara sauce from another meal, I use it instead of the water and tomato paste or at least for part of it. I also vary the amount of mushrooms, depending on how many are on hand. Also, if I'm using beans I've cooked myself, rather than canned, I add Braggs for a little salt taste.

Another thing you can do for a nice presentation is stuff the acorn with the veggie mixture, top with some tomato sauce and then bake for about a half an hour. I like it like this and it's very pretty, but Davan doesn't like scraping it out, so I do it unstuffed. When we're eating on the go, I must say that I like it unstuffed, as well.

Weather update - The rain had stopped and things were looking hopeful, but we just had another good downpour. I still have high hopes for trick or treating!

No comments:

Post a Comment