Wednesday, October 01, 2008

October is Here

For the whole month of September, we did not eat out.

For the whole month of September, we did not buy any junk food at all.

For the whole month of September, we said, "No thank you," to any and all offers of junk food.

The "we" here being Anthony and I. Davan did have an ice cream cone when offered one at Oak's Park, which is fine. It's Anthony and I that have made a pact.

For our anniversary, which is at the beginning of September, we decided, rather than exchange gifts, we would exchange promises of health. We want to be healthy for each other and healthy examples to Davan.

Making it through September is great! However, we're going for a full year. So, we're 1/12 of the way there. In many ways this first month will have been the hardest, but I also know that December will be difficult.

We have a list of acceptable junk food days, which is as follows:

Thanksgiving
Christmas
Halloween
Birthdays of immediate family members
Free Cone Day at Ben and Jerry's
Mother's Day
Father's Day
Easter
Groundhog Day
Weddings
Airplane Travel
Character Meal at Disneyworld
Company party for Anthony's work

And that's it. Yeah, I know Groundhog Day is a funny one, but we have friends who throw a big party that day every year and we'd be sad to try to be good at.

Now, it's important to note that each of those days are just those days. We don't get to make Christmas last for a week by buying way too much food and then eating leftovers, for example.

Even though December will be one of our biggest junk food months (flying to and from Disneyworld for a wedding, where we will also have a character meal, Davan's birthday and Christmas), it will also be challenging because there is so much junk offered that time of the year.

So far, so good, though. I'm pleased with our savings with not eating out. I'm pleased with how my clothes are fitting. And it's not like we're suffering for food. We can all eat as much as we like, but without the eating out or bringing in junk, I'm just naturally slimming up, even with big 'ol smoothies with peanut butter sometimes twice a day and snacking whenever.

Additionally, I've been doing a yoga or pillaties workout every weekday morning. When my neck was so sore at the beginning of the month, I did a very easy yoga workout, but when it got better (although it's still not totally recovered, much to my annoyance), I did a much harder power yoga workout most mornings. I feel good about that, but I haven't been walking much this month and I want to remedy that.

All-in-all, though, the overall health report is good with a good outlook for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment