Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there. I hope you've having a good one!

It's a funny thing, but Mother's Days really only started being good for me when Davan was about 5. Prior to that, it was a day of wondering if I'd really made the right decision being a mom. Most days I was happy, but on Mother's Day, I always felt very introspective about being a parent at all. It was a day to be doted on, but Davan still just needed me all the time and couldn't set it aside at all at that time.

Anyway, these days I like Mother's Day, although, if I don't want to be disappointed, I have to spell out exactly what I want. Davan will always make me a card or two or ten. Anthony's willing, but doesn't ever do any planning. Last year I just asked for him to take over the kitchen all day - make all the meals and do all the clean up. I still did the meal planning and shopping, though.

This year, we have Dungeons and Dragons this afternoon, so Anthony made breakfast - pancakes and "sausage" - and then we went to Saturday Market where I picked myself out a shirt. We were going to have lunch there, as well, but no one was very hungry yet after our big breakfast. Except Davan. She had an elephant ear. We opted to just head home instead and skip the eating out. We'll have a big dinner with our D&D potluck, so we'll just have something small for lunch.

I'm making bread for D&D, but Anthony's doing all the dishes for me.

We had a disappointing thing happen yesterday afternoon, when we went to volunteer for the post office food drive. We were checking in and they said that Davan couldn't help because she was too young! I thought that was just silly, as they were loosing not only her help, but mine as well. Anthony chose to go ahead and volunteer, although, later he said he wished he'd just left with us. We were not close to come (about 40 minutes away), so Davan and I needed some entertainment. We found a Goodwill, where I'd been wanting to go to look at shirts and pants anyway, and spent some time there. I found a shirt I really liked, too. There was a school with a great playground right next to the Goodwill, and we spent the rest of our time there, playing. So, it was a nice afternoon, but not what we'd planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment