Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I don't have anything new to share on the adoption front. We're still waiting to hear the committee dates for Alexis and Hunter. I'll have to call Barbara tomorrow and check in. It seems like most of the time when I "check in" she has something to tell me. However, it's rare that I get a call from her with new information, so I just keep "checking in".

Davan and I had a very nice afternoon at homeschool park day today. We had lovely weather for it - sunny and warm, but not overly hot. We got in a lot of running and playing. Davan and I also spent some time drawing pictographs on the large rocks at the park with sidewalk chalk.

We were inspired by both Kaya and the River Girl (an American Girl Short Story) and our tour from this weekend.

Davan decided about a month ago that she wanted to be vegetarian. She's been vegetarian before for about a 10 month period, but slipped back into eating meat because she missed some foods that her dad and I were still eating. Well, after I shared a story about eating cats and dogs from the Shmoo Blog (I couldn't find the actual story, but this is a link to the blog), she decided she wanted to be vegetarian again. This time, I decided that I'd join her, mostly. We've both decided that we'll eat some seafood (so, yes, I understand that this isn't truly vegetarian) and I'll eat meat if it's served at another person's house.

DH, meanwhile, is fine with being vegetarian at home, even vegan, but will look forward to having his meat when eating out.

I also decided, however, that I wanted to lean more toward being vegan because I think it's unhealthy to eat a ton of cheese, which is what seems to happen when we cut meat around here. Thus, I've been experimenting with some new recipes. We've never been huge meat eaters, but cutting the dairy is harder for us. Tonight I made vegan French toast. I had my doubts as I was making it, but it turned out really yummy. I got the recipe from Dreena Burton's Vive le Vegan! which is my favorite vegan cookbook to date. The link is to Dreena's blog.

I've eaten vegan all day both today and yesterday, so I'm pretty happy about that. I'm not ready to take the plunge entirely, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment