Thursday, May 18, 2006

My Water Bottle!?!?!

A strange thing happened to me yesterday. Someone stole the water bottle off of my bike. I didn't notice at first because I often (accidentally) leave the water bottle on my bike after a ride. However, yesterday evening, after riding Davan to her friend's house for a play date, riding to the library, riding to Barbara's office and coming back home, I was preparing to ride over to Mt Hood Community College to play racquetball.

Now, before you get all excited about how far I'm riding, you should know that the library is only a mile and half away and both Laurel's house (Davan's play mate yesterday afternoon) and Barbara's office are more or less between here and the library. Mt Hood Community College is maybe a mile and a half away as well. So, all that riding totaled maybe 6.5 miles.

Back to the story. So, I realize my water bottle isn't sitting on the counter. I check my bike in the garage. Not there. I expected it to be, as I didn't remember bringing it in. However, I also checked my backpack and various other potential locations. Gone. The only thing I can figure is that it was stolen either at the library or at Barbara's office. Both high foot traffic areas. I remember it being on my bike when I went into the library, as I debated bringing it in, but just took a drink instead.

Anthony's answer to all of this is, of course, that I shouldn't be leaving my water bottle on the bike in the first place. That's just inviting crime. My thoughts were, "Who'd steal my waterbottle anyway?" But, I guess someone would. Sigh.

Anthony and I did talk about the kids I got bulletin's for yesterday. We decided against one little girl because she's less than 9 months younger than Davan, which seems too close in age. However, we are putting in for the other three, which include 3 year old Chase, 10 year old Elijah and 12 year old Savanna.

Savanna, interestingly enough, was a child on the Oregon Waiting Kids page back when we were first contemplating adoption and I liked her at the time. However, she was placed for adoption. The adoption disrupted and she is being recruited for again. Maybe it's meant to be. Savanna has also said that she wants a sister of any age. Davan, while open to a lot of different possibilities, says she'd be absolutely the most excited about an older sister.

Anthony says I just want a big kid to help me peddle my tandem. We're planning on having two tandems when we have two kids - with a parent captaining each - so we can do longer bike rides as a family. That was the purpose for our purchase of the sadly stolen Black Bomber.

In regards to Elijah, we feel that he'd be a good match personality-wise. He's a little close in age to Davan, but with him being a boy rather than a girl, we feel it might work out. We had said we wanted an older child to be three years older and, for another girl, we'd stick with that.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Eeewwww.... who would steal a waterbottle? Were there teeth marks all in the nipple and stuff?

    I'd *share* a waterbottle with *some* people, but to rip off a stranger's? Maybe it's being used as an ersatz super-soaker or to water the spider plant in some office...

    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, exactly. Who'd want a stranger's water bottle? And, yes, I'm sure it had all sorts of teeth marks because it was used a lot and plenty of the use was by Davan!

    Nicholina

    ReplyDelete