Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Two of the kids we've inquired about have just shown up on the Northwest Adoption Exchange web site. Usually, this site shows harder to place kids, but I'm not sure why these two are harder to place. Sometimes the call doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Tamia

Jacob

Tamia is African American and that may be the reason why she made the site. It's a sad thing, but race does matter. As a family, our idea is to just ignore coloring of any sort and look at the person, but when adopting a child of an obviously different race, you are taking on an extra challenge. You are not seen immediately as a family, for example. Will an AA child feel like we've taken away their culture when she gets older? Color blindness would be ideal in my opinion, but we aren't, as a society, so it is something to keep in mind.

Meanwhile, I don't know why Jacob made the web site. Maybe just because he's a boy over the age of 4? Although we've seen lots of other boys around his same age who haven't made the site. Jacob seems like a good fit for us, so it surprises me to see him there.

As you can see, even though we're going to committee for Alexis, we are still keeping up with "our kids". As the committee isn't a guarantee, you are encouraged to keep making progress with other kids just in case. I spoke with Barbara today and it looks like we'll be getting adoption child summaries for two other kids - Austin and Ashlee - tomorrow or soon there after. She already has Ashlee's and just needs to prepare it for us. So, there are two more hopefuls. Austin has had a special place in my heart sense we first got his bulletin months ago, so I'm excited to get more information about him.

Nothing is for sure in this whole process and it's difficult to be on pins and needles the whole time!

Meanwhile, we go on with our lives. Today, Davan and I read together, cleaned her mouse cage, played with the cats, made oatmeal bars for breakfast, engaged in separate activities for a while (Home Education Magazine and a book I needed to finish for tonight's family book group reading for me and a long photo session plus journal writing for Davan), ate lunch together, walked (me) or Wheelied (her) to the library (1.5 miles), read/choose/put on hold books there, saw friends and visited with them there, stopped at Goodwill on the way back (the best place to buy games at $1.99 a pop), went over some bulletins (at Davan's request), made dinner (me), played in the back yard (her), had my father in law over for dinner, welcomed dh back from his overnight business trip, had our family book group (this week we discussed "The Gifts of Wally Dad", which we all liked), played outside until twilight and bed time, got ready for bed (her), played around on the computer (me), read in bed plus had Daddy read (her). It'll be bed and reading for me when I'm done playing on the computer. A day in the life.

I had a scary thing happen in the middle of that last long paragraph. My computer locked up on me and than gave me a strange and new to me error message saying that Windows had to shut down. I rebooted and logged back on, worried about my post, but thanks to the "recover post" button here in the editor, almost all of it was saved. Nice function! Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment