Monday, March 01, 2010

Pear Oatmeal

One of Davan's and my favorite winter breakfasts is pear oatmeal. I've mentioned that before, I know and once, many a moon ago, I posted a recipe for apple oatmeal, which is much the same, but I thought I share our updated methods and ingredients.

First, dice 4 or so pears and put them in a large pot. Add 1 cup steel cut oats, a generous amount of cinnamon (I just liberally shake it in, but maybe a tablespoon's worth), 2 tablespoons of flax meal:

Then add enough water so that everything is swimming plus some. It'll look something like this after adding the water and mixing:

Now, heat over high until boiling with plenty of stirring. Once it's boiling, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, stirring often, for about a half an hour or more to desired oatmeal texture. Sometimes I add more water during the simmering part if things are looking clumpy or if most of the water has been absorbed, but the oats still aren't as done as I'd like.

Scoop into large bowls and serve:

You can also mix more things in as each person likes. I eat it just like this most of the time these days. Davan loves it with a scoop of almond butter stirred in. Walnuts and/or raisins are other good ideas.

This morning's batch is enough to generously serve both Davan and I with enough left over to use in her upcoming breakfast trays (very small portion) for many days.

No comments:

Post a Comment