Monday, January 05, 2009

Yay Me!

I did yoga this morning. It was a gentle sort of yoga, rather than power yoga, but still, yoga was done. I rode my bike a grand total of about 11 miles. I swam for an hour. I definitely got in my exercise today.

Better yet? I didn't take the car out until I went to pick Davan up from gymnastics this evening. At times in the past, I have been good about riding my bike rather than getting in the car. However, it's a habit that is hard to get back into. I do well from time to time, but there has been nothing sustained. It felt good to run errands, go to swimming and take Davan to gymnastics all on bike. I'd very much like to keep it up.

I've gotta be honest, though. It's supposed to rain tomorrow. I'm thinking we'll be going to book group in the van. How do I juggle giving Davan and I a break from riding in miserable conditions and still keep up the bike habit? I don't know. It's something to work on, though.

That brings me to the topic of New Year's resolutions. What with Christmas being celebrated on New Year's here, New Year's kind of got bypassed. We did, briefly, discuss if we wanted to do New Year's resolutions, but didn't really go anywhere with it.

Anthony would like to have a weight lifting goal. Davan didn't really have anything she was thinking about. Me? Well, at the time, I mostly just said I was trying to think of something non-food related, as we're already doing a year long challenge of eating "on plan" with the exception of our feast days.

It's been marinating for a few days and I've got some ideas floating around. I'd like to bike or walk more than auto for trips of less than three miles one way. (Wording it that way just popped into my head. Writing things down really does help!) Or I'd like to bike all the time for those same trips, except when the conditions make it truly unpleasant. That seems too vague, though, leaving too much room for just hopping in the van. So, maybe the first. I'd have to keep track, though, of miles in the car vs miles on the bike/feet so I'd know if I were meeting my goal. It's not undoable. It might work.

Also floating around has been some sort of yoga at least five days a week resolution. I'm pretty good about that already, though, so I don't think I need the resolution for it.

Getting up at a certain time of day during the week has run through my mind, as well. As I've mentioned here before, a lot of times I pretty much feel tired no mater if I've slept 8 hours or 10, so why sleep the extra 2 hours? Plus, studies show that people who sleep between 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 hours a night are healthier than those that sleep less or more. So, seeing as how I turn the light out around 10:30 usually and not after 11:00 almost always, getting up at 7:30 seems more than reasonable, even if it takes a while to actually fall asleep. I do enjoy laying in bed for a while before getting up in the morning, so I'm thinking my soft radio alarm clock can go off at 7:15 and I can get up by 7:30. I've usually woken up several times by then, so the alarm clock is really more of a reminder to not go back to sleep. I'd enjoy the extra time to make sure my yoga gets done before Davan's up and we're off to chores.

So, maybe two resolutions:

I will ride or walk more local miles than drive. Local is defined as 3 miles or less away.

I will get out of bed by 7:30 every weekday morning, being truly sick earns an exception.

Those seem do-able. Now I just have to share them with my family for accountability and hop to.

No comments:

Post a Comment