Sunday, January 04, 2009

Wonderful Christmas - Now Back to Reality

We had an awesome Christmas, celebrated on New Year's Eve, though it was. Dinner at my MIL's was nice and not too late. We came home, Davan opened her way too big PJs, but as they are the next size up from her too small ones, she's opted to live with them, then Davan went to bed.

My mom and I did stockings and put out gifts that weren't already out - Santa gifts and their gifts. They had bags and bags of gifts. So much for keeping it simple. :P

After a good, broken up 4 hours of sleep or so, I finally gave up. Anthony was awake, too, so we talked and snuggled and did other stuff. :) We got up around 7:30 to get coffee and tea going. Then Davan was up and the day moved on.

The day had a great pace with lots of pausing for enjoying gifts as they came, talking and eating of lots of food. The gifts were all very thoughtful and some were tear jerkers. My parents spent until after an early dinner with us. After they left, Davan, Anthony and I listened to Trickster's Queen and played with the new pattern blocks while eating even more....I ate a lot, but I actually did fairly well at stopping early enough not to go to bed with a sore tummy.

The very next day, Davan had her first meet. She was very, very nervous, so much so that she couldn't enjoy it and was totally drained afterward. She didn't want to go to practice that night, even. However, even with all that, she did very well. She scored between 8.5 and 8.8 on all four events, placing 5th overall out of 14 girls, 5 of whom have competed in whole seasons as level 5's before. I was proud to see all her hard work showing, but disappointed that she was so unable to enjoy herself. I hope the other meets go better. By Saturday, she was feeling good that she'd been in a meet and done so well.

Anthony, indeed, didn't like his present - a watch. He decided to return it and get a different one. He's been spending a lot of time on that for the last couple of days - researching and trying on. He still hasn't decided. I told him from now on, I wasn't going to actually give him any gifts. I'd tell him what he was getting and give him a rough price to work within. He loves the shopping around part, unless it's clothes.

Tomorrow, it's all back to regular life. I'm having a hard time facing the fact that our feast days are over for a long while. I did put on a couple of pounds and now I'm having to detox again. Is it worth it? I don't know, but I'll do it again, given the opportunity.

Anthony is back to work and Davan and I are back to swimming. Davan has told me several times today that she's nervous about swimming. I'm kind of pissed about that. Does that make me a bad mom? I just really feel like it's because she isn't the fastest anymore, although she's still near the top, and because it's much harder work in this class. I'm tired of everything being stressful for her and, thus, me, too. Her anxiety is getting to the point that I feel like we maybe need to go see a therapist. She's pretty resistant to that idea, though. I guess, at least, that I need to read up on anxiety issues and get some ideas on how to deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment