Saturday, February 27, 2010

Busy Kitchen Day

I'm finding myself much in the kitchen today. We had our usual Saturday morning pancakes this morning with blackberry compote, pumpkin "pie filling" and/or cinnamon cashew sauce for toppings. We also enjoyed a grapefruit and a mug of tea each. It was delicious. Even with making the pumpkin ahead (sweet winter squash baked then pureed with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and a wee bit of agave nectar) and Anthony being in charge of the pancakes, there was much to do.

After breakfast, I was back at it. My mom is coming home from a business trip today and we're picking her up from the airport, taking her to her house, eating dinner (made here and packed up) and then coming home. Also, as you may recall, I'd yet to make kimchi and didn't want to just slide on it.

So, I chopped up some cabbage and massaged some salt into it:
I sterilized some jars and now the jars and bowl of cabbage are on the counter, waiting for the next step.

I also put some unsweetened dried cherries in a bit of water to soak to make a jam.

Anthony helped by mixing up vegan fat free no refined sugar oatmeal raisin cookies to take for dessert this evening, but he doesn't like putting them on the cookie tray, so I took over for that part:

Anthony also prepared the edamame for dinner, but I didn't snap a picture of that.

I prepared all the sushi fillings, 'cause, of course, Saturday is sushi day:

Rolled them all up:

and got them, the cookies, the edamame and some wasabe packed up and ready to go:
And, inevitably, throughout the process, there were dishes to do:
I've just mixed up the cherries and their water in the Vitamix and jarred it. It's nearly lunch time and I've started a tray for Davan with the left over odds and ends from sushi making. And I still need to finish off that kimchi! Better get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment