Friday, February 05, 2010

Davan's Breakfast

I was trying to decide what to do for Davan's breakfast this morning, as we are out of pancakes from last weekend, I wanted a smoothie rather than oatmeal, and I don't have a lot other than fruit to put in a breakfast tray. I decided to make a special breakfast for her. The lucky duck got a breakfast pie this morning.

I started by making a crust of 2 parts oatmeal to 1 part walnuts with about 5 Daglet Noor dates (much smaller and less rich than Medjool dates and what we use for dates around here) in the food processor, which I was getting out and using to make almond butter, anyway. I pressed the resulting mixture into a shallow bottomed bowl:


Then I peeled a mandarin orange and sliced up two kiwis for the body of the pie:


Next, I whipped up a chocolate sauce for the topping. I used another 4 dates, a smallish handful of raw cashews, a couple tablespoons of raw cacao powder and enough water to get things going. I mixed this up in the Vitamix, which I was also using for my smoothie. It made a lovely, creamy sauce to pour over the top:


Davan was so excited to take her first bite:


Her face says it all:


We played a couple of games of Cadoo (which is really too easy for her, but we both still have fun with it) over breakfast, which helped her to really spread out the enjoyment. None the less, she was going after all the last bits in the bowl at the end:

"I know what I'm having for my birthday breakfast," she told me with a content sigh, no mater that it's nearly a year away.

Me? I had a smoothie with 3 cups of kale, 3 large celery stalks, parsley, juice and pulp of 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 a frozen banana, a handful of frozen blueberries and 4 dates. It was good. I even tasted Davan's and, while I thought it was very yummy, I was happier with mine for the nutrition and lighter fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment