Thursday, May 01, 2008

I'm Off to Lovely Pittsburgh and Adoption Stuff

I have a busy morning ahead of me. At 11:00, my parents are coming to pick me up and take me to the airport. They'll spend the rest of the day with Davan and Max (once he's done with school) plus help out quite a bit more over the next five days because.....I'm off to Pittsburgh! Who-hoo!

How many people do you know who get so excited about Pittsburgh? Well, I'll admit, that while I think Pittsburgh is a surprisingly nice city, the main reason I'm so excited is that I'm visiting my very best friend. We're such good friends that we just think of ourselves as chosen sisters. I can't wait!!! I have a lot to do before then, though...so I probably shouldn't be sitting here....

However, I also wanted to share that I'm feeling a new sense of commitment to Max. I'm back to what I'd come to at the end of the summer when I had an adoption crisis: I can live with it now with the right attitude. Davan thinks of him as her brother and I can't imagine taking her brother from her. It's not right to toss people to the side, especially kids. If he ends up in residential care later, then so be it, but we won't have given up on him.

That said, we have no idea when the finalization will happen. Apparently, the office in Salem that handles adoptions is way backed up and causing all sorts of delays. It'd be best for Max if it happens before school is out for the summer. More waiting will freak him out more.

Speaking of freaking out, it's looking like he might go on Prozac. We had the meeting with the nurse practitioner who prescribes for kids at Kinship House and she thinks it could help him, along with more counseling and a therapeutic home (that's us, folks). She wants to meet Max first, though, so we're taking him in next Wednesday morning.

Okay, now I'm off to get stuff done. Food to pack, other stuff to finish packing, dinner to keep going in the crock pot for the family tonight, assorted chores to do, Davan to wake up and read to. Actually, here she stands! I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment