Monday, April 14, 2008

Conversations with my Daughter

When Davan and I really get into a discussion, I like talking with her. She can hold up her end of the conversation, she is smart and she's really interested in what I have to say.

A lot of times, though, I find casual conversation with her painful, I'm sad to say.

This evening, Anthony was talking about a kid on Max's t-ball team who, he said, must have been only about three feet tall. I react. Something along the lines of expressing surprise. Davan held her hand up. "Three feet? Like this?"

"Yeah, about like that."

"How old is he?" (We'd just talked about how all the players on Max's team other than Max and one other kid were only five.)

"Five, I imagine," Anthony says, "Maybe he's not really three feet tall, but he's very short."

This doesn't sound like an annoying conversation as I type it out, but, truly, it was. I think it has something to do with her being so literal about everything and nit-picking things. She doesn't mean to be annoying, but she seems to feel the need to get to the bottom of every little off hand comment. I find this frustrating.

Or there are the times that she asks me about something and I go through this whole explanation with examples and she seems very interested, but then, at the end, she says, "Like what?" when I've been giving examples as I go. Does she not get it? Is it over her head? Is she just trying to look like she was paying attention by asking this question when, in reality, she was day dreaming? But then, why make me go through the whole thing. I'd kind of rather hear, "Wait, Mom, I'm not all that interested after all. Let's move on to something else," before I've invested so much time.

I don't know. I'm sure a lot of it just has to do with being a kid, but, man, it's been bugging me lately. Maybe it's all my problem and my tolerance for all things kid is just low. Sigh. Some mom that makes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment