Friday, June 06, 2008

Gymnastics Update

Last night was better. It was still hard for Davan, though. It was a harder workout, as they did a whole bunch of conditioning.

Chelsea was there, which helped. With two of them that were new, there seemed to be a lot more explaining than when it had just been Davan.

The girls seemed friendlier, reaching out more.

I heard more positive remarks from the coaches. I did hear a lot of correcting, too. I had to point out the positive to Davan, as she'd only really processed the correcting.

On floor, at the very beginning of the workout, Davan went to one of the coaches and said, "I don't know what you're asking me to do. I don't know what any of this is." I was glad she'd stood up for herself. She and Chelsea got called over to the head coach then, who explained that they weren't supposed to know yet. It's all new for them.

That was a great relief for Davan, but it was the attitude before that which made her think that she was supposed to know it all. The coaches said what to do and made haste to correct anything she did wrong, making her think she was supposed to know what to do.

So, it was better, but it's still a mixed bag. I asked Davan if she felt like she was going to still love gymnastics at this level and she had to think about it for quite a while before she finally said, "I think so."

No comments:

Post a Comment