Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's Not Just Me

So there!

Davan and I met my parents for brunch Thursday morning. The Olympics have sparked both my mom and I into thinking about passions and follow through on your dreams and hard work and yadda, yadda, yadda. So, we were having a discussion about that.

We roamed through my violin playing as a child (given up after one year for the trumpet which I quit in a week), my gymnastics career (played out to it's fullest which was not very far), what I should have done in high school rather than just veg away those years (probably ski team or swimming, although Mom suggested that moving on to college early might have been a good choice, too) for me.

For Mom, we explored her high school swimming, her ballet and her current job.

It was a very entertaining discussion. And, although I'd said I wasn't going to talk about it, it tied in so exactly to Davan's decision about continuing gymnastics or not that I said in an aside to her, "I know I said I wasn't going to talk about your gymnastics decision until Friday, but this ties in so exactly with it that I wanted to just say that I think you'll probably regret it later if you quit."

Then Mom and I went back to talking. Davan put her head down and looked pathetic until my step dad finally said to her, "You look sad."

"Yeah! Mom said she wouldn't talk about it, but then she did!" with just a trace of tears on her cheeks, but much anguish in her voice.

Okay, so I did. But, really, I could have said it directly to her or about her to Mom in front of her. Either way, it was very pertinent to the conversation. So there. It's not just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment