Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Davan's Do Jump Debut

Davan's Do Jump class ended last night with a 20 minute show she and her class mates pretty much self designed with some guidance from the instructors. It was pretty darn fun to watch. And, if I do say so myself, Davan was a stand out. I do believe I'd have said so even if she weren't my kid. She and her partner, H, did some of the most dynamic passes and trapeze work of the show.

Everyone did a great job and all the kids seemed to really enjoy themselves. It was so great to see. Davan reported after that she was less nervous than before a fun meet for gymnastics and that the show was about the same in regards to enjoyment as compared with a fun meet.

My mom called this morning to sign her up for the session of classes starting in January and heard that the main instructor had given her a very strong review for her class work, pretty much allowing her to have her pick of classes to take next. She's currently signed up for an advanced 8+ class, but it's possible she'll get moved because her instructor was also interested in having her work with older kids.

All-in-all, it was a very fun and moral/ego boosting experience for Davan and she told me how sad she was that she didn't get to do it anymore (shhh! It's a Christmas present that my mom signed her up for more).

I totally forgot to get the camera out at all last night, even though I'd intended to take it to the show. I didn't even get a picture of her hair do. The content of the show was kept a surprise because that's how Davan wanted it. I asked her before if she wanted her hair done in any special way and she said, yes, she wanted three braids - two on the sides and one in the back. Okay....I did as requested and then had her go look in the mirror to see if she was happy with the results. Yup - just what she'd wanted.

It turns out that she and H were jesters at one point - one of my favorite parts - and the hair style was so she'd be in character. :)

It's funny that I was so mad at Do Jump for not working with us about Davan's scheduling at the beginning of the session. I'm still irked about that, honestly, but it was such an awesome experience for Davan that I'm willing to overlook it. Also, I know now that it would have been better to talk to the instructors. I know her head instructor would have worked with us. Still...they should have been more willing to work things out then. Ah well.

I think it'd be really fun if Davan did join the performance troop next year. I think it'd be a fun experience for her and I think going to see her shows would be a treat. I think that the co-operative side of Do Jump would be a much better match for Davan's personality than the ultra competitive gymnastics. I also know, though, that Davan would be sad to give up the bars, particularly, from the gymnastics side. Is trapeze enough of a draw to pull her away? I don't know. It's something that will be decided later.

For now, she loved the class and the performance was fun for all. What more could one ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment