Monday, March 03, 2008

Drug Free

I've decided I'm done with the Prozac. I had planned on Prozac being a temporary measure, anyway, but I was going to do it for 6 months. It's only been 3. However, I have my reasons.

First, the logical ones. I don't really want to lead a drugged life. I like feeling the full range of emotion. I think I've been on it long enough to loose the strong negative feelings I was having toward Max. I have an exercise program in place that I'm doing pretty well with. Exercise, I've found in the past, is a great anti-depressant for me.

Now for the real reason I've decided now instead of later. I've been gaining weight. At first I was blaming it on the holidays. But, truly? Yeah, I ate some treat food, but not a ton. I've still been gaining, though, and it's significantly after the holidays. Not just maintaining extra weight, but gaining. Even though my eating patterns have not noticeably changed from how I've been eating in the last year. And even though I've increased my exercising fairly significantly.

I've been noticing this with some alarm, seeing as how my clothes are getting snug. Then, I remembered a story of a friend of a friend who gained a whole bunch of weight while on Paxil (same family of drugs as Prozac). Then I realized that when I was at my max weight ever, I'd just come off a six month course of Paxil. I'd been going through some depression after being in a fairly serious car accident. It's a whole separate story. After that, though, I fairly effortlessly shed some pounds and it was my highest weight ever.

So, I'm done. I took my last dose last Wednesday. So far, all is well. Nicely, even though it's that time of the month, I've even had a nice return of 'ye 'ol sex drive. And I'm down a pound. So there it is.

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered something that helps on an as-needed basis?

    Xanax is my drug of choice for the gripping anxiety that sometimes happens to me.

    (Usually coincides with my cycles and stress happening all at once).

    Just a thought.

    And here's something funny. My doc put me on Prozac in 1995 and I LOST 10 lbs the first month. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, weird. Apparently, it can go both ways. My mom developed an aversion to food when she went on Prozac several years ago and lost weight at first, too. Also, if you're anorexic (yeah, a big worry for you, I know) it can make things worse.

    However, a common side effect is weight gain.

    It's kind of like go on this for depression, but look out for side effects like suicidal thoughts it goes both ways.

    Or like with sensory issues - either you avoid or seek, so two extremes are actually the same condition.

    ReplyDelete