Tuesday, March 04, 2008

High Drama

Davan's gym is falling apart. At the end of summer, we had two coaches leave. One was a planned leave taking and she still sometimes fills in for classes. She was a recreational coach.

The other coached both the higher level recreations girls and team. That one...well, I don't know the details, but it was not an amicable leave taking. It was very sudden. The gym was left in an awkward position. Classes were scrambled and mixed. Things were in upheaval. It all more or less worked out, but they've been looking for a new coach ever sense and still haven't found one.

In September, the main compulsorily girls' coach had a baby. The agreement was that she could bring her baby to work with her. That's been going on for a while. She brings her baby, the baby stays until Dad is off work, then he picks her up.

Now, again, I don't know all the details. I've only heard one side of this story. Apparently, yesterday, the coach was informed that she could no longer bring her baby to work with her. As of right now. Last night was her last night. She quit.

I'd guess that there was some lead up to this, as opposed to just springing it with no warning, but I don't really know. What I do know is that this leaves the gym in a lurch, yet again and even more so.

We now have the head coach, who mostly coaches the optional girls - higher levels and one team coach who, right now, only coaches the level fours. There's no coach for level fives and sixes. I'm sure that it'll be covered somehow, but it might not be pretty.

Knowing all this last night, I've started to look into options for other gyms. After all, before she starts team would be the time to move. However, my main thought was to just ride it out. Gyms go through upheavals. It usually smooths out.

I found out this morning, though, that the compulsory girls (levels 4-6 and the bulk of the gym) are talking about a walk out for three months. The plan would be to put the head coach out of business so another coach can buy it and take over. I'm not overly thrilled about this idea. Davan doesn't want to miss gymnastics. She's only pre-team now, but would be team before the walkout was over.

Plus, I'm not totally convinced it's all Brandon's fault. I'm not sure running him out of business is a good thing. All-in-all, high drama.

On the plus side and on a completely different subject, Max and I had a decent morning. He wasn't overly motivated, earning no stickers, but he was on time and more or less pleasant to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment