Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Injustice of It All

Max was on compost duty up until yesterday due to a recent food wasting incident. Let me be clear that his food wasting incidents aren't like, "Oh, I got a little too much and I'm not that hungry," or even, "I don't care for this and don't want to eat it." No, it's more like, "I've decided I don't want this banana, even though I usually love bananas, so I've shoved it behind the cat food dish and now I'm telling you I've eaten it."

Any-who, he was off compost duty as of this morning. I took the compost out and, as usual after he's been doing compost, I found food stuffs strewn about outside of the compost bin.

I came in and let Max know he needed to go clean that up. He protests that he hadn't spilled that stuff. Right. Then it was the neighbors throwing food waste over the fence again. I really wish they'd stop that.

I was very calm and just repeated that he needed to clean it up. He, with very loud sound effects (some combination of singing, yelling, chanting, wordless semi-animal sounds) got his shoes on vvvveeeeeerrrrrryyyyyy ssssslllllooooowwwwllllyyyy and went out with a major chip on his shoulder to do the task.

Anthony called him over to say that we weren't mad, but he did need to take care of it and that he shouldn't let it ruin the rest of his day.

Of course, things were missed the first two times, so there was much protest and anguish over that.

Then the 10 minute ordeal was over. If he'd just done it, it would have taken about 2 minutes tops. Including putting on his shoes.

We are cruel. So cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment